Hey Martin,

>> What exactly is the "doesnt' scale" issue in this case?
>
> I don't actually know PQM, but from what I hear, it appears that
> PQM can't run tests for a single patch on all of Solaris, Linux,
> Windows, and OS X before accepting it. Instead, PQM will run the
> tests on the same machine it runs on itself, and only on that
> machine.

We actually have PQM setup to work in multiple machines for the same
commit, since we have to ensure that the same source code passes
all tests in a number of platform versions.  I don't personally know in
which platforms PQM runs.

In any case, I'm not suggesting Python should use PQM-the-implementation.
Maybe it's too complex for what is necessary, or too simple, or not portable
enough, or whatever.   At this point, I'm only trying to point out that if you
want stability on platforms that differ from the local one in which a developer
run the test suite on, you must block the merges that will break the other
platforms.

Even though a bit obvious, this idea is still not very popular nowadays
because for a long time, not merging broken code meant not keeping
evolving source code under revision control.  This doesn't have to be
true now.  Developers may evolve their code in a broken way for a long
time before integrating in a main line of development, and consequently
without creating breakage for others, and blocking releases.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net