On Jul 2, 2009, at 4:09 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

If Barry is up for it I am not against it, but if we do go with it I think it should be a quickie release and then retire 3.0.x completely.

It's not difficult to actually cut the release. What is a pain is managing all the bugs leading up to it. If we announce that we're going to do a 3.0.2, people who thought 3.0 was dead may ask for their favorite bug fix to be backported, etc.

If we're going to do one, then we'll need to schedule it and give people a chance to actually commit to it for a few weeks. We may even need to do release candidates.

TBH, I'm not sure there's enough interest in doing it. We're not recommending people actually /use/ 3.0, and I know for one data point that Ubuntu doesn't care.

-Barry