On 08/02/2013 01:00 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
Hmm. I understand this is an alpha but I was hoping to get a few more fixes in today. Perhaps, in the future, we can be more clear about exactly when the code freeze time (tag time) is vs a release time. From a developer point of view, the former is important, the latter much less so. From a release team point of view, both are.

From PEP 101, "Doing Python Releases 101":
IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU AT LEAST TAG THE TREE 24 HOURS
BEFORE A FINAL RELEASE.  This will give the Experts enough time to
do their bits before the announcement goes out.
The schedule calls for the Alpha 1 release tomorrow.  Ergo, tag today.

Should I add "expected tag dates" to the schedule?

I can immediately grant you a small delay if that's all you need; how about I try to tag around midnight (PST). If you need longer than that let's discuss it in public here.

By the way, folks, I'm delaying Alpha 2 on behalf of Martin (who will be on vacation on the old date). The new release date for Alpha 2 will be Sunday September 8, therefore tagging on Saturday September 7. I don't currently plan on slipping Alpha 3 or any subsequent releases as a result. I'll update the release schedule PEP once Alpha 1 is out.

But speaking of adjusting the schedule, I'm also considering changing bumping all the remaining release dates forward by a day. Currently all the releases are on Saturdays, which means we always tag on Friday. Ned Deily suggests instead we tag on Saturdays and release on Sundays. His reasoning: people with last-minute changes they're trying to get in are more likely to have time for Python core hacking on a Saturday than a Friday. Any opinions?

//arry/