Quoting Fred Drake <f...@fdrake.net>:

IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU AT LEAST TAG THE TREE 24 HOURS
BEFORE A FINAL RELEASE.  This will give the Experts enough time to
do their bits before the announcement goes out.

The schedule calls for the Alpha 1 release tomorrow.  Ergo, tag today.

When I read this, I expect it to only apply to X.Y.Z releases, not alphas
and betas.

No, it actually should apply to all releases (alpha and beta as well).

The 24h delay comes from the desire to release binaries. Due to time zones
and work distribution across people, several hours can easily pass, and 24h
is not at all unrealistic.

That, or some text explaining what to expect, would be good to have.

It's easy enough: the tag is likely to occur 24h before the scheduled release.

Regards,
Martin