On 7/10/2017 10:49 AM, Berker Peksağ wrote:
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storch...@gmail.com> wrote:
When a PR is consistent on several commits, the final commit message
composed by GitHub contains messages of all these commits: "fix typo",
"address yyy comments", "revert zzz". If the initial commit message
contained errors (e.g. absent issue number), it is easy to edit the title
and text of a PR, but the initial commit message lefts unchanged. GitHub
allows to edit the commit message of squashed commit, and please don't
ignore this possibility. Otherwise the commit message in the repository will
be ugly if not worse.

+1! (and thank you for writing this email, Serhiy)

Ditto.

I can't think of a way to automatically prevent a PR from merging if
body of the squashed commit contains "fix typo" commits. I think this
is a pretty annoying problem and perhaps we should ask contributors to
squash multiple commits themselves even if we continue to use the
"squash and merge" option.

When people did that, we asked them not to. When reviewing, I want to be able to see both commits in response to comments and the total diff (by clicking files at the top). If people push a squash merge after a PR is approved both by CI and core reviewer, they might make a mistake. In any case, another round of CI is triggered.

In any case, I find editing easy. I often delete all and copy from the new blurb. When I write a patch myself, I try to write at least some commit messages that should remain in the final result. So I might copy some commit messages into the blurb.