On 09/21/2018 07:51 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
Le 21/09/2018 à 14:45, Paul Moore a écrit :

It's not likely to be a practical option on a mailing list, but in
primary school (which the whole conversation felt like) a likely
response would have been to put *everyone* involved in a time-out for
a period of cooling off, to think about how their behaviour was
unacceptable. Think for example of a group of kids taunting each other
until one of them snaps and hits someone.

With a forum system, the thread would just have been locked.

It is certainly not as convenient, but with the current system we can set a spam filter on subject lines and stop threads that way. It is still a pretty rough tool (whole thread, not sub-thread) and a bit awkward to use, but doable.

Of course, we still have the problem of speed -- some threads blow up in a matter of hours.

--
~Ethan~