On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 10:16 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
[..]
> Well, I could announce it, but nobody would pay any attention. Why
> should we pay attention to this announcement? No offense to Łukasz, but
> how did he get put in charge of this?

You could and everybody would pay attention.

As for Łukasz and Discourse:

(1) I remember asking Brett, Łukasz, Victor, Guido and few other core
devs if we can do something to "fix" python-ideas at the previous core
devs sprint (2 years ago). I also remember Guido saying that PEPs
discussions on mailing lists are super hard to manage, and that he
wishes we can do that on GitHub.  A frustration with our mailing lists
has been a known issue for many core devs for a long time.

(2) Brett has previously expressed that moderating and enforcing CoC
on our mailing lists isn't a pleasant experience.  Discourse provides
way more tools to make discussions more manageable.  Hopefully it will
allow to diffuse heated discussions before anyone needs to even think
about CoC.

(3) We want to try Discource now because discussions on python-ideas,
python-dev, and python-committers became *unbearable* to many core
devs (including myself).  Most of the time I find it inconvenient to
even read them, left alone engage.

(4) E-mail is clearly more convenient to *follow* the discussion to a
lot core devs in this threads.  Discourse, hopefully, will enable many
other core developers to *want* to follow and feel *safe* to engage.

Given all the above, Łukasz *volunteered* his own time to help setup
Discourse and help everyone to migrate to it so that we can all try
it.  When he announced that we want to try Discourse at the sprints,
out of all people there I remember only Barry asking questions about
email integration.  Everybody else including Guido, Brett, Raymond,
Victor, Mariatta, and many others were OK to try Discourse.  As I can
see, Łukasz himself doesn't have any interests in this migration
besides trying to make our communication more enjoyable and welcoming.

Lastly, I understand everybody who likes e-mail and their e-mail
clients.  I'm such a person myself.  Learning a completely new tool
and using browser to access it isn't easy for me either.  But I'm
willing to try to sacrifice some of my convenience in order to see if
the new medium can enable us to have more polite discussions and if
core developers who don't want to engage now become comfortable to
join us again.

Yury