On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 09:36:52AM +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> #python-dev on IRC has been wildly successful until perhaps 2015.
> Personally, I would have no problem using IRC if wanted to connect to a chat
> for CPython at all.

I know, it was useful, and #python is still. The bot, github, buildbot
made it more alerts only. Looks like Victor and few others still use it.

> Similarly, I would have no problem using Zulip.  I would even say that Zulip
> is by far the best chat system I've ever used, and the alternatives don't
> come near.  Its threading system is really superior to everything else.

With Zulip, I find it hard to understand, why I need two namespaces (for
lack of better term) before I start writing my text in Zulip chat.

#topic->subtopic [content]

I have not been a part of the community that uses Zulip effectively, so
I haven't learnt it well.

> The idea that if people don't use IRC and Zulip, then we should try another
> chat system, sounds like magical thought. What kind of properties do Slack,
> Gitter or Discord have that Zulip doesn't? They are actually quite annoying
> in my experience.

Some have community advantage. K8s, Golang people are on Slack. Multiple
Companies are on Slack, technical barrier is very low. Similar is the
case with Discord.

Community usage, and usability _perhaps_ go hand in hand. General numbers
could support for this.

That said. If we (a quorum) feel comfortable using anything like IRC,
Zulip, I agree, we don't need another one.

--
Senthil