PEP 394 says:

> This recommendation will be periodically reviewed over the next few
> years, and updated when the core development team judges it
> appropriate. As a point of reference, regular maintenance releases
> for the Python 2.7 series will continue until at least 2020.

I think it's time for another review.
I'm especially worried about the implication of these:

- If the `python` command is installed, it should invoke the same
  version of Python as the `python2` command
- scripts that are deliberately written to be source compatible
  with both Python 2.x and 3.x [...] may continue to use `python` on
  their shebang line.

So, to support scripts that adhere to the recommendation, Python 2
needs to be installed :(

Please see this PR for details and a suggested change: https://github.com/python/peps/pull/893