On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 03:24:28PM -0500, Scott Dial wrote:
> Tim Peters wrote:
> >No more than it had been jarred ;-)  Well, a bit more:  it was
> >possible to pass a first argument to select() that was larger than
> >FD_SETSIZE.  In effect, FD_SETSIZE had no meaning.
>

> any relevance to any platform other than Linux. I am no portability
> guru, but I have to think there are other platforms where this patch
> will cause problems. For now at least, can we at least do some
> preprocessing magic to not use this code with Windows?

I doubt it will have problems on other platforms. As Tim said, FD_SETSIZE is
mandated by POSIX. Perhaps some platforms do allow larger sizes, by
replacing the FD_* macros with functions that dynamically grow whatever
magic is the 'fdset' datatype. I sincerely doubt it's a common approach,
though, and for them to be POSIX they would need to have FD_SETSIZE set to
some semi-sane value. So at worst, on those platforms (if any), we're
reducing the number of sockets you can actually select() on, from some
undefined platform maximum to whatever the platform *claims* is the maximum.

--
Thomas Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>