On 11 Dec 2019, at 12:12, Mark Shannon wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your feedback so far.

Previously I asked for "more precise" feedback, which has been interpreted as evidence backed feedback. That's not what I meant.
My fault for not being clearer.

Your opinions without any justifications are welcome, but I need precision.

The PEP states:

"""
Reference Implementation

None, as yet. This will be implemented in CPython, once the PEP has been accepted.
"""

A Python that implements PEP 611 might have advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages we can clearly see: Things that were possible before will no longer be possible. But whether the PEP has any advantages is unknown. So an implementation might have to come first.

[...]

Almost any performance gain, even 0.1% is worth the, IMO, slight inconvenience of 1 million limits. The reason I believe this is that a 0.1% speedup benefits all Python applications and libraries everywhere and forever, whereas the inconvenience will be felt by a handful of developers, very rarely.

A 0.1% performance gain means that a script that runs for an hour will finish 4 seconds earlier.

[...]

Servus,
   Walter