David Mertz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019, 6:40 AM Mark Shannon m...@hotpy.org
> wrote:

> > I NEVER care about memory at all... except inasmuch as it effects speed.

In my admittedly idiosyncratic experience, memory is usually by far my most
constrained resource.  I do care about it, even if python alone isn't using
much.

That said, CPython has typically thrown memory at all sorts of things,
including rounding sizes up to 64-bit.  It isn't worth absurd contortions to
make a difference decision in only one small area.

> On the other hand, if we actually have a huge number of classes, or
> coroutines, or bytecodes, then maybe shaving a couple bits off the memory
> representation of each one could matter.

Or we could only allocate classes within a certain subset of the memory space,
so that every instance saw savings even when just pointing to their classes.

> But that is 100% orthogonal to the hard limit idea.

That sort of per-instance savings is only available if you know you won't need
to distinguish between more than N pointer destinations.

It probably would take at least a working prototype to show that it would help
in practice though, before there was remotely general support for enforcing
limits and/or changing the binary layout.