On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 16:01, David Mertz <me...@gnosis.cx> wrote:

> I'm a little frustrated by the tone in which the PEP dismisses the option
> that is most supported in the discussion. It fine for Brandt to have a
> different preference himself, but I think it ought to be presented more
> neutrally.

Agreed. The PEP gives the impression that consensus was reached, but I
don't think that's the case. My feeling is that opinions are rather
evenly split between the approach in the PEP and an itertools
function. I also feel that proposing an itertools function would have
been a *lot* less controversial, so the tone in the PEP feels a little
like it's defending a weak position by aggressively opposing
alternatives. After all, one of the benefits of an itertools function
is that it probably wouldn't have needed a PEP in the first place!

Actually, looking at the reasons for rejection of the itertools option
in the PEP:

> It seems that a great deal of the motivation driving this alternative is that
> zip_longest already exists in itertools.

Nope, the biggest motivation is that an itertools addition would have
been *significantly less controversial*.

Paul