On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:09 AM Jim J. Jewett <jimjjew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David Mertz wrote:
>
> > Fwiw, I don't think it changes my order, but 'strict' is a better word
> than
> > 'equal' in all those places. I'd subtract 0.1 from each of those votes if
> > they used "equal".
>
> I would say that 'equal' is worse than 'strict'. but 'strict' is also
> wrong.
>
> Zipping to a potentially infinite sequence -- like a manual enumerate --
> isn't wrong.  It may be the less common case, but it isn't wrong.  Using
> 'strict' implies that there is something sloppy about the data in, for
> example, cases like Stephen J. Turnbull's lagged time series.
>
> Unfortunately, the best I can come up with is 'same_length', or possibly
> 'equal_len' or 'equal_length'.  While those are better semantically, they
> are also slightly too long or awkward.  I would personally still consider
> 'same_length' the least bad option.
>
> -jJ

As we've come down to naming things... if you want it to read more like
English,

`zip(vorpal_rabbits, holy_hand_grenades, lengths_must_match=True)`

or another chosen variation of that such as `len_must_match=` or
`length_must_match=` reads nicely and is pretty self explanatory that an
error can be expected if the condition implied by the "must" is found
untrue without really feeling a need to look it up in documentation.

It is also harder to type or fit on a line.  Which is one advantage to a
short thing like `strict=`.

I don't care so much about the particular spelling here to argue among any
of those, I primarily want the feature to exist.

I expect we're entering steering council territory for a decision soon...

-gps