On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:36 AM Giampaolo Rodola' <g.rod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No we don't. Who are you to tell others what they should be aware of
> or what they should fight for? And why should I join your battle that
> I don't even agree with? Most of us probably had no idea what Elements
> of Style was before this thread started, and *none* of us has ever
> attributed any racial meaning to it in the 19 years since PEP-8 was
> put in place. I still don't attribute any racial meaning to it,
> despite all the twisted explanations which were given about the
> correlation with white supremacy, which AFAIK are only shared by you
> and the person who pushed this PR, who is also a newcomer. If anybody
> can come up here for the first time, impose their world view on the
> majority just "because it's oppressive", and do this sort of
> pandemonium, then we can kiss Python goodbye. It also means there
> virtually is no end to this in the long run, because anyone can come
> up with any sort of funny theory in order to tilt the direction of the
> language and deviate its culture from the outside.
>
> --
> Giampaolo - gmpy.dev

It's disheartening as hell to watch a core dev so clearly despise the
idea of growing the Python community.

You have open contempt of the code of conduct, despite the growing
movement of underrepresented minorities stating that codes of conduct
make them feel safer in their communities.

You openly belittle the contributions of people you view as "newcomers".

You uphold that grand tradition of technical people who decide that
because they are ignorant to a specific kind of oppression, that
oppression doesn't exist.

My focus in Python is not specifically the advancement of the language
as a language (though I care about that, otherwise why would I be
subscribed to this list at all?). My focus
and love for Python is as a community. And I care, specifically, that
I see three threads that are leaving me breathless and sad for my
community. I am imagining the pain and hurt
these conversations will cause for people who are not as well
positioned and not as comfortable in the community. We are going to
lose FUTURE contributors because your vitriol
and hate for people who care about oppression as it intersects the
Python community.

You may very well think that's the optimal way for a language to be.

I do not. We must, as a community, examine our prejudices and aim to
be welcoming or we're going to see a split in Python much worse than
Py2 -> Py3.

Piper Thunstrom

My public key is available at https://keybase.io/pathunstrom
Public key fingerprint: 8FF9 3F4E C447 55EC 4658 BDCC A57E A7A4 86D2 644F