To paraphrase the Bible: "For where two or three gather, there is politics
with them."

Changing the commit message, as it has been merged, is now practically hard
and highly unusual. If you use GitHub search, you can find other examples
of commit messages that would be rewritten if that was doable without cost:
https://github.com/python/cpython/search?q=fuck&type=Commits: such commits
would not be merged now I imagine *if it was caught before merging* (of
course, the repo was not even in git at the time, so there were no pull
requests et cetera at the time...) but would have to stay in if already
merged. In this case, as is common I think for most software developers or
anyone writing any text: I think the main reason all messages are
different: commit, email and PR is because they were written at different
times and the writer found better ways of distilling their thought process
and also got external input through the email thread. In particular, I
think it is common for commit messages to be different from the PR messages
(precisely because of this!) and as many has said, and as we should
remember, this commit (the actual change) was brought by a volunteer in
their own time, and had broad agreement (though not unanimous) on the
mailing list, yet now we have ended up having a massive mail thread
discussing their particular contribution and I am sure they feel obliged to
read all these messages. So let's compare the three:

*Commit*
"Instead of requiring that comments be written in Strunk & White Standard
English, require instead that English-language comments be clear and easily
understandable by other English speakers. This accomplishes the same goal
without upholding relics of white supremacy. Many native English speakers
do not use Standard English as their native dialect, so requiring
conformation to Standard English centers whiteness in an inappropriate and
unnecessary way, and can alienate and put up barriers for people of color
and those whose native dialect of English is not Standard English. This
change is a simple way to correct that while maintaining the original
intent of the requirement."

*Email*
"[...] Instead of requiring that comments be written in Strunk & White
Standard English, PEP-8 should require instead that English-language
comments be clear and easily understandable by other English speakers. This
accomplishes the same goal without alienating or putting up barriers for
people (especially people of color) whose native dialect of English is not
Standard English. This change is a simple way to correct that while
maintaining the original intent of the requirement."

*Pull Request*
"Instead of requiring that comments be written in Strunk & White Standard
English, require instead that English-language comments be clear and easily
understandable by other English speakers. This accomplishes the same goal
without alienating or putting up barriers for people (especially people of
color) whose native dialect of English is not Standard English. This change
is a simple way to correct that while maintaining the original intent of
the requirement. This change also makes the requirement more clear to
people who are not familiar with Strunk & White, since for programmers, the
main relevant aspect of that standard is "be clear and concise;" simply
saying that instead of referencing Strunk & White communicates this more
effectively."

Clearly, the last sentence (starting "This change also") was added after
the email thread, *however* note the commit (message) was written before
that discussion took place or the PR was made. I think all three texts
(barring the addition in the third one) have the same spirit because
- "a person of color" is anybody who is not Caucasian/white according to
the definition as I understand it and so does Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_color
- "white supremacy" has the academic definition similar to/being "white
privilege": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_supremacy and that's how I
read it here, not an ideology, especially given the context
and so I think working against alienation of "persons of colors" is
aligned/has a similar meaning to with reducing [the relics of] "white
privilege" [in not being alienated in terms of language expected in Python
comments] and are similarly "political" (I would say "inclusive" and
"uncontroversial", but to each their own). I think if you think any one of
these 3 is "political", they all are, so to fall over the commit message in
particular (because it says "white supremacy"?) seems inconsistent to me.

All 3 texts to me are not political, or at least not political beyond what
has already been decided: inclusivity in language is explicit in the CoC:
"Using welcoming and inclusive language. We're accepting of all who wish to
take part in our activities, fostering an environment where anyone can
participate and everyone can make a difference." You might disagree whether
that should be in the Code of Conduct or whether it  was correctly applied
here, however there is no disagreeing that the contributor was upfront and
honest about the reason why they wanted this change.

To call this a "betrayal" as Ethan did seems to imply that the contributor
hid their reasoning, but they never did. In Ethan's example, it is more
like the leader of the small band asked for some water for his men because
they are thirsty and then the leader has a drink as well from the water
given: technically he is not one of "his men", but it does not change the
nature of the request nor would it change the response to the request.