Considering the people involved and the nature of the list, I suspect
that adding a new @python.org mailing list would be better than
discourse. In my experience, it's very difficult to just follow a single
topic on the discourse, and most people complain that the e-mail
integration is not great. For something like, "Here's a head's up about
something affecting distributors", I don't think Discourse offers much
in the way of advantages.

My guess is that distributors would be happiest with a relatively
low-volume e-mail list that would point to discussions happening
elsewhere (or that announces changes relevant to distributors).

Best,
Paul