On Sun., 29 Nov. 2020, 6:31 am Paul Ganssle, <p...@ganssle.io> wrote:

> Considering the people involved and the nature of the list, I suspect that
> adding a new @python.org mailing list would be better than discourse. In
> my experience, it's very difficult to just follow a single topic on the
> discourse, and most people complain that the e-mail integration is not
> great. For something like, "Here's a head's up about something affecting
> distributors", I don't think Discourse offers much in the way of advantages.
>
> My guess is that distributors would be happiest with a relatively
> low-volume e-mail list that would point to discussions happening elsewhere
> (or that announces changes relevant to distributors).

For Linux distros specifically, we do have linux-sig, but we've never had
great general channels for consistently reaching Windows, cloud &
cross-platform distributors - those contacts have generally been more ad
hoc & personal.

We've occasionally had recommendations for redistributors in specific PEPs,
so having some level of structured documentation around CPython
redistribution would likely make sense. For example:

* a page on devguide.python.org <http://dev.python.org>
* a reference to that page from the What's New for each release, that
either mentions any changes since the last release, or else notes that the
recommendations are unchanged

Cheers,
Nick.

Cheers,