On 26Feb2021 18:34, Coyot Linden <co...@lindenlab.com> wrote:
>As of 3.7, there is now a python feature called Development Mode:
>
>https://docs.python.org/3/library/devmode.html#devmode
>
>Which has a confusingly similar and nearly identical name to a setuptools
>feature:
>
>https://packaging.python.org/guides/distributing-packages-using-setuptools/#working-in-development-mode
>
>It seems like a bit of bikeshedding could create a name for one of them
>that disambiguates them.

I disagree.

They're both aids to development, with effects suitable to their domains
(the interpreter itself for the former and the method of obtaining
packages in the latter). I think the names are very apt, and similar
because of their purpose.

Picking gratuitously different names just to have "different names"
seems pointless and confusing to me.

This isn't some shared namespace where names need to be different to
avoid conflicts such as package names or DNS domain names, but similar
scenarios ("I'm doing development") applied to different aspects of a
Python environment. Of course it is natural to use a phrase like
"development mode" for each.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>