On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 at 16:25, Coyot Linden (Glenn Glazer)
<co...@lindenlab.com> wrote:
> This is one of those cases, where those of us who have been around
> Python for awhile can perhaps infer from context which his meant, but
> the phrase "put your Python project into development mode" is ambiguous
> in a way that is different from your example.

The commonly used packaging terminology is actually "editable mode"
(at least in the sense that that's what most people seem to call it,
so knowing and using that term will get better results from Google
;-)). If you feel inclined to raise a PR against the pip documentation
to prefer that term, it can be discussed over there (but note that the
underlying setuptools command is `setup.py develop` and that's not
likely to change, as it's hard-coded in a number of applications,
including pip).

But ultimately, I think the reality is that there *are* terminology
confusions all over the place in computing, much like in any other
discipline (I'm currently teaching someone music, and the number of
terms that get re-used in different contexts there is even worse than
computing!) So I think that ultimately, beginners simply need to get
used to understanding that terms can be context-dependent. It's not
easy, and as teachers we can do what we can to make things clearer,
but we can't ever completely make such problems go away.

Paul