Hi Coyot, and welcome!

Can you explain the circumstances where a developer, or an end user,
might be confused as to which development mode is meant?

"Dev mode" is a very common term: Windows 10 has a development mode. So
does the X-Box and the Samsung Galaxy phone. Ruby on Rails also has a
development mode. So does the Opera web browser. I'm sure that with a
bit of googling, we could come up with a dozen more examples.

Normally, the context is all we need to disambiguate the different dev
modes, and if not, we can disambiguate the two by using fully qualified
names: "Galaxy dev mode" and "X-Box dev mode".

Under what circumstances is that not sufficient for Python dev mode and
setuptools dev mode?

--
Steve