On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 6:20 PM Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 at 01:37, Brandt Bucher <brandtbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mark Shannon said:
> > > I was relying on the "reference" implementation, which is also in the PEP.
> >
> > Can you please stop putting scare quotes around "reference implementation"?
>
> Agreed - apart from the implication Brandt noted, it's also
> misleading. The code is in Python 3.10, so the correct term is "the
> implementation" (or if you want to be picky, "the CPython
> implementation"). To me, the term "reference implementation" implies
> "for reference, not yet released".

Normally, the term "reference implementation" means "the basis
implementation that everything else is compared against". For
instance, a compression algorithm might be published as a mathematical
document, with a reference implementation in some language. It's then
possible to create a new implementation in some other language, or
more optimized, or whatever else; but to know whether it's giving the
correct results, you compare its output to the output of the reference
implementation.

CPython is the reference implementation for the Python language. It's
possible to have a discrepancy between the standard and the
implementation, but it's still the reference implementation (just
occasionally a buggy one).

In this case, I believe that the term "reference implementation" is
strictly accurate, and concur with Brandt's request to not discredit
it by implying that it's only purporting to be one.

ChrisA