Hi Mark.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Mark Shannon said:
> My intention, and I apologize for not making this clearer, was not to
> denigrate your work, but to question the implications of the term "reference".
>
> Calling something a "reference" implementation suggests that it is something
> that people can refer to, that is near perfectly correct and fills in the
> gaps in the specification.
>
> That is a high standard, and one that is very difficult to attain. It is why
> I use the term "implementation", and not "reference implementation" in my
> PEPs.

Interesting. The reason I typically include a "Reference Implementation"
section in my PEPs is because they almost always start out as a copy-paste of
the template in PEP 12 (which also appears in PEP 1):

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#what-belongs-in-a-successful-pep
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0012/#suggested-sections

Funny enough, PEP 635 has a "Reference Implementation" section, which itself
refers to the implementation as simply a "feature-complete CPython
implementation":

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0635/#reference-implementation

(PEP 634 and PEP 636 don't mention the existence of an implementation at all,
as far as I can tell.)

It's not a huge deal, but we might consider updating those templates if the
term "Reference Implementation" implies a higher standard than "we've put in
the work to make this happen, and you can try it out here" (which is what I've
usually used the section to communicate).

Brandt