That is going to be very hard to read, unfortunately. Especially when the
line is
not simple. Highlighting the range is quite a fundamental part of the
proposal and
is driven by the great welcoming of highlighting ranges for syntax errors,
which many
users have reached to say that they find it extremely useful as a visual
feature.

Also, people with vision problems have mentioned how important having a
highlighting
section under the code to quickly understand the problem.