On 5/10/2021 6:07 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 05:34:12AM -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 5/10/2021 3:28 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

I'm mostly thinking of tracebacks which go >10 levels deep, which is
rather common in larger applications. For those tracebacks, the top
entries are mostly noise you never look at when debugging. The proposal
now adds another 10 extra lines to jump over :-)

If the slice were instead marked with color tagging, as I hope will be
possible in IDLE and other IDEs, then no extra lines well be needed

That's great for people using IDLE, but for those using the vanilla
Python interpreter, M-A.L makes a good point about increasing the
vertical size of the traceback which will almost always be ignored.

The vanilla interpreter could be updated to recognize when it is running on a similated 35-year-old terminal that implements ansi-vt100 color codes rather than a similated 40+-year-old black-and-white teletype-like terminal.

Making the enhancement available to nonstandard python-coded interfaces is a separate issue.

Its especially the case for beginners. Its hard enough to get newbies to
read *any* of the traceback. Anything which increases the visual noise
of that is going to make it harder.

--
Terry Jan Reedy