"Pretendere" in Italian means "to demand", it's a false friend with the English "pretend". I don't know whether Marco is Italian (the false friend might also be there between Spanish or whatever other romance language he speaks and English, for all I know). From a native Italian speaker's perspective, what he meant was very clear to me, but it's also clear that an English speaker with no experience of Italian would not be expected to understand the meaning necessarily.

Either way, from an outsider's perspective this whole bickering over such a small thing seems unfit for a list where adults talk about technical details. It seems to me that someone should swallow their pride and let this thread drop once and for all, it's not bringing anything useful or relevant.