> On 26 Sep 2021, at 04:09, MRAB <pyt...@mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>
> On 2021-09-26 00:14, jack.jan...@cwi.nl wrote:
>> I think we really need to come up with some scheme whereby extension
>> packages become more long-lived than a single Python release...
> You mean, something like the Python ABI (PEP 384, Stable Application Binary
> Interface)?

And Steven D”Aprano also mentioned the stable ABI.

The problem with the stable ABI is that very few developers are targeting it.
I’m not sure why not, whether it has to do with incompleteness of the ABI, or
with issues targeting it easily and your builds and then having pip/PyPI do the
right things with wheels and all that. I’ve been on the capi-sig mailing list
since its inception in 2007, but the discussions are really going over my head.
I don’t understand what the problems are that keep people from targeting the
stable ABI (or the various other attempts at standardising extensions over
Python versions).

> On 26 Sep 2021, at 06:21, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
>
> Do you have a reason to think that it is in danger in some way? Some
> factor that didn't apply equally in 2001 and 2011 as it does in 2021?

Yes, very much so. Wheels.

Before we had wheels there were very few packages that were distributed in
binary form, the NumPy family and the various GUI toolkits are the only ones
that come to mind, and they had very active developer communities that tracked
Python releases.

Wheels are absolutely wonderful, but the downside is that everyone has come to
depend on them. Before wheels, extension modules were often optional, in that
many packages would provide their basic functionality in pure Python, and then
have some performance-enhancing or functionality-extending optional extension
modules. Wheels have obviated the need for that. So now everything depends on
extension modules (and on external packages that depend on extension modules,
and so on).
--
Jack Jansen, <jack.jan...@cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack