On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 12:40 AM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> What I have heard repeatedly, from people who are paid to know, is that most
> users don’t care about the latest features, and would rather stick to a
> release until it becomes unsupported. (Extreme example: Python 2.)
>
> Numpy isn’t random, it’s at the bottom of the food chain for a large
> ecosystem or two — if it doesn’t support a new Python release, none of its
> dependent packages can even start porting. (I guess only Cython is even
> lower, but it’s a build-time tool. And indeed it has supported 3.10 for a
> long time.)

Well, no, it wasn't entirely random :-).

Being on the bottom of the food chain is important, but I don't think
it's the full story -- Tensorflow is also at the bottom of a huge
ecosystem. I think it's also related to NumPy being mostly
volunteer-run, which means they're sensitive to feedback from
individual enthusiasts, and enthusiasts are the most aggressive early
adopters. OTOH Tensorflow is a huge commercial collaboration, and
companies *hate* upgrading.

Either way though, it doesn't seem to be anything to do with CPython's
ABI stability or release cadence.

-n