What I have heard repeatedly, from people who are paid to know, is that
most users don’t care about the latest features, and would rather stick to
a release until it becomes unsupported. (Extreme example: Python 2.)

Numpy isn’t random, it’s at the bottom of the food chain for a large
ecosystem or two — if it doesn’t support a new Python release, none of its
dependent packages can even start porting. (I guess only Cython is even
lower, but it’s a build-time tool. And indeed it has supported 3.10 for a
long time.)

—Guido

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 23:01 Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 3:38 AM <jack.jan...@cwi.nl> wrote:
> > Open3D is an example. Will finally move to Python 3.9 some time the
> coming month. Its dependency graph contains about 70 other packages.
> >
> > In this specific case, the underlying problem was that TensorFlow was
> stuck at 3.8. The TensorFlow codebase got ported in November 2020, then
> released early 2021. Then Open3D included the new Tensorflow (plus whatever
> else needed to be adapted) in their codebase in May. They’re now going
> through their release schedule, and their 0.14 release should be up on PyPI
> soon.
>
> I took a minute to look up the release dates to fill in this timeline:
>
> Python 3.9 released: October 2020
> Tensorflow adds 3.9 support: November 2020
> Tensorflow v2.5.0 released with the new 3.9 support: May 2021
> Open3d adds 3.9 support: May 2021
> First Open3d release to include the new 3.9 support: ~October 2021
>
> So it seems like in this case at least, the year long delay consists
> of ~1 month of porting work, and ~11 months of projects letting the
> finished code sit in their repos without shipping to users.
>
> It seems like the core problem here is that these projects don't
> consider it important to keep up with the latest Python release. I'm
> not sure what CPython upstream can do about that. Maybe you could
> lobby these projects to ship releases more promptly?
>
> By contrast, to pick a random library that uses the unstable C API
> extensively, NumPy is already shipping wheels for 3.10 -- and 3.10
> isn't even out yet. So it's certainly possible to do, even for
> projects with a tiny fraction of Tensorflow's engineering budget.
>
> -n
>
> --
> Nathaniel J. Smith -- https://vorpus.org
> Message archived at