On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 3:04 PM Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
> If you’re planning a runtime -X option, then does that mean that the modules
> will be frozen at build time but Python will decide at runtime whether to use
> the frozen modules or the unfrozen ones?

Correct.  FYI, this was already done.

> Are you planning on including the currently frozen importlib modules in that
> same mechanism?

No.  They must always be frozen.  See is_essential_frozen_module() in
Python/import.c.

> Will `make test` and/or CI run Python with both options?  How will we make
> sure that frozen modules (or not) don’t break Python?

If "configure --with-optimizations" always sets the default to "on"
and the default is "off" otherwise, then the PGO buildbots will
exercise the frozen path.  Likewise if "--with-pydebug" (or
in-source-tree) makes the default "off" and otherwise it's "on".

Without a build-time option already handled by one of the buildbots,
we'd need to either add a dedicated buildbot or run it both ways (like
we do with importlib).  I expect that won't be necessary.

> Option #3 seems like the most reasonable one to me, with the ability to turn
> it on when running from the source tree.

It's definitely the one that fits most naturally for me.

-eric