On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 3:31 PM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:
> Which stdlib modules are currently frozen? If I really want to hack
> site.py or os.py for whatever reason, I just have to use "python3 -X
> frozen_modules=off"?

The single-source-of-truth is Tools/scripts/freeze_modules.py.  After
running "make regen-frozen" you'll find a cleaner list in
Python/frozen_modules/MANIFEST.  You can also look at the generated
code in Makefile.pre.in or Python/frozen.c.  Finally, you can run
"./python -X frozen_modules=on -c 'import _imp;
print(_imp._frozen_module_names())'"

> > 1. always default to "on" (the annoyance for contributors isn't big enough?)
>
> What is the annoyance?

The annoyance of changes to the .py files not getting used (at least
not until after running "make all"

> What is different between frozen and not frozen?

They have a different loader and repr.  Also, frozen modules do not
have __file__ set (and __path__ is always []).

-eric