On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 6:36 AM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:
> Honestly, for me, #1: always on, is the most reasonable choice.
>
> I dislike when Python behaves differently depending on subtle things
> like "was it built with optimizations" or "is Python started from its
> source tree"?
>
> When I built Python without optimization and/or from its source tree,
> I do that to debug an issue. If the bug goes away in this case, it can
> waste my time.
>
> So I prefer to teach everybody how to use "-X frozen_modules=off" if
> they want to hack the stdlib for their greatest pleasure. I prefer
> that such special use case requires an opt-in option, the special use
> case is not special enough to be the default.

Agreed.  I just don't want to discourage potential contributors nor
waste anyone's time.  I suppose that's the fundamental question I
originally posted: would it be too annoying for contributors if we
made the default "on" always?  I expect most non-docs contributions
are made against the stdlib so that factors in.

> It means that the site module module can no longer be "customized" by
> modifying directly the site.py file (inject a path in PYTHONPATH env
> var where the customized site.py lives). But there is already a
> supported way to customize the site module: create a module named
> "sitecustomize" or "usercustomizer". I recall that virtualenv likes to
> override stdlib site.py with its own code. tox uses virtualenv by
> default. Someone should check if freezing site doesn't break
> virtualenv and tox, since they seem to be popular in Python. The venv
> doesn't need to override site.py and tox can use venv if I recall
> correctly.
>
> If site.py customization is too popular, I would suggest to not freeze
> this one, until the community stops doing that.

Good point.  I'll look into that.

-eric