On 9/28/2021 8:36 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 6:58 PM Eric Snow <ericsnowcurren...@gmail.com> wrote:
We've frozen most of the stdlib modules imported during "python -c
pass" [1][2], to make startup a bit faster.  Import of those modules
is controlled by "-X frozen_modules=[on|off]".  Currently it defaults
to "off" but we'd like to default to "on".  The blocker is the impact
on contributors.  I expect many will make changes to a stdlib module
and then puzzle over why those changes aren't getting used.  That's an
annoyance we can avoid, which is the point of this thread.

Possible solutions:

1. always default to "on" (the annoyance for contributors isn't big enough?)
2. default to "on" if it's a PGO build (and "off" otherwise)
3. default to "on" unless running from the source tree

Thoughts?
Honestly, for me, #1: always on, is the most reasonable choice.

I dislike when Python behaves differently depending on subtle things
like "was it built with optimizations" or "is Python started from its
source tree"?

When I built Python without optimization and/or from its source tree,
I do that to debug an issue. If the bug goes away in this case, it can
waste my time.

So I prefer to teach everybody how to use "-X frozen_modules=off" if
they want to hack the stdlib for their greatest pleasure. I prefer
that such special use case requires an opt-in option, the special use
case is not special enough to be the default.

I agree with Victor here: I'd rather have #1.

As a compromise, how about go with #1, but print a warning if python detects that it's not built with optimizations or is run from a source tree (the conditions in #2 and #3)? The warning could suggest running with "-X frozen_modules=off". I realize that it will probably be ignored over time, but maybe it will provide enough of a reminder if someone is debugging and sees the warning.

Eric