On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 12:20, Thomas Grainger <tagr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I raised an issue about this: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/10530

I agree with the comment made on that issue - this isn't the right way
to handle the problem. We need to encourage projects to opt into the
new approach and remove the legacy path once it's no longer needed. We
should *not* maintain the "old style" approach indefinitely, hiding
the fact that it's no longer the correct approach by having some sort
of "auto convert" logic in the tools. Doing that has the *opposite*
effect to what we're trying to achieve - adoption of cleaner modern
approaches will take *longer*, because we're actively allowing
projects to continue using their existing approach with no
consequences.

Paul