On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 13:27:03 +0100
Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 12:20, Thomas Grainger <tagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I raised an issue about this: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/10530
>
> I agree with the comment made on that issue - this isn't the right way
> to handle the problem. We need to encourage projects to opt into the
> new approach and remove the legacy path once it's no longer needed. We
> should *not* maintain the "old style" approach indefinitely, hiding
> the fact that it's no longer the correct approach by having some sort
> of "auto convert" logic in the tools.

Can you explain what the "old style" approach is here?  I would hope
for the "old style" approach to be deprecated (with a *visible*
warning message) for at least 2 years before it is removed.

It is nice that well-maintained packages with lots of contributors get
frequent releases and keep up with the pace of changes in the packaging
ecosystem, but please don't forget that there's a long tail of packages
that are updated infrequently and but still work properly and perform
an important function for some parts of the user base.

Regards

Antoine.