On Mon, 4 Oct 2021, 5:23 pm Antoine Pitrou, <anto...@python.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 13:27:03 +0100
> Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 12:20, Thomas Grainger <tagr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I raised an issue about this: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/10530
>

> > I agree with the comment made on that issue - this isn't the right way
> > to handle the problem. We need to encourage projects to opt into the
> > new approach and remove the legacy path once it's no longer needed. We
> > should *not* maintain the "old style" approach indefinitely, hiding
> > the fact that it's no longer the correct approach by having some sort
> > of "auto convert" logic in the tools.
>
> Can you explain what the "old style" approach is here?  I would hope
> for the "old style" approach to be deprecated (with a *visible*
> warning message) for at least 2 years before it is removed.
>
> It is nice that well-maintained packages with lots of contributors get
> frequent releases and keep up with the pace of changes in the packaging
> ecosystem, but please don't forget that there's a long tail of packages
> that are updated infrequently and but still work properly and perform
> an important function for some parts of the user base.

That's the real milestone intended in the setuptools bundling wording: we
can drop the bundling when pip doesn't need it itself, *and* can also
transparently bootstrap it for all other projects that need it, whether
those projects have been updated to use the modern packaging standards or
not.

The fact those were different requirements wasn't clear when we wrote the
PEP though, so the concrete example given only covers the first criterion
and not the second one, rendering the section as a whole ambiguous.

Paul's mail covered some of the details still pending before automatic
installation of build time dependencies into an isolated build environment
becomes a universal default on new pip installations. We wouldn't drop
setuptools from the bundling until that default changes.

Cheers,
Nick.