Hi,

Le 01/02/2022 à 07:25, Martin Dengler a écrit :
The fact people are assuming bad faith and spilling ink about those getting
involved with that extremely-underserved part when contributors are sorely >
needed is counter-productive.

I disagree, the original message was a good-faith question about how to interpret a pattern. It is healthy to check with the group to discuss if there is a problem and how to deal with it.

For pull requests, I have recently seen a few contributors who clearly want to improve things and just have to be guided with our process: when to create a ticket or not, when to add news or not, why we don’t use force pushes, why «consistency» is not a sufficient reason to make sweeping cosmetic changes that do really fix or improve something, etc. Guidance was well received by these contributors with good intentions.

I have also noticed drive-by, commentless PR approvals that add zero value (often right after a core dev approval), but are counted on the person’s github profile and can’t be dismissed (because they have no comment, I suppose). I think these are minor annoyances; in these two examples the persons are teenagers, self-described as tech enthusiasts, so they’re probably just following what the github interface encourages without engaging with the culture or the real work. On one of the PR I wrote a message tagging the person to express that reviews from non-core devs can have value, but not if they have zero effort behind them (no reply yet).

  Regards