In the not so distant past I have proposed to introduce a new category,
"Unstable APIs". These are public but are not guaranteed to be backwards
compatible in feature releases (though I feel they should remain so in
bugfix releases).

I'm not sure whether those should have a leading underscore or not. Perhaps
(like some other languages do and like maybe we've used in a few places)
the name could just include the word "Unstable"?

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 8:08 AM Victor Stinner <vstin...@python.org> wrote:

> The internal C API can be used on purpose. But there is no backward
> compatibility warranty and it can change anytime. In practice, usually
> it only changes in 3.x.0 releases. For example, these private C API
> changed in Python 3.9 and Python 3.11 (see my first email in the other
> PEP 523 thread).
>
> To use the internal C API, you have to declare the Py_BUILD_CORE macro
> and include an internal C API header file. For
> _PyInterpreterState_SetEvalFrameFunc(), it should be:
>
> #ifndef Py_BUILD_CORE_MODULE
> #  define Py_BUILD_CORE_MODULE
> #endif
> #include <Python.h>
> #include <internal/pycore_interp.h> //
> _PyInterpreterState_SetEvalFrameFunc()
> #include <internal/pycore_ceval.h>  // _PyEval_EvalFrameDefault
>
> Victor
>
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 12:26 AM Jason Ansel via Python-Dev
> <python-dev@python.org> wrote:
> >
> > The PyTorch team plans to use PEP 523 as a part of PyTorch 2.0, so this
> proposal may break the next major release of PyTorch.
> >
> > The related project is TorchDynamo, which can be found here:
> > https://github.com/facebookresearch/torchdynamo
> >
> > We will likely move this into the core of PyTorch closer to release.
> >
> > If the changed happens, would PyTorch still be able to use the eval
> frame API?  Or would it prevent from being used entirely?
> > Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/RVQ7LDIJ2OYAN4QMIPTI3A3PODGBLNN7/
> > Code of Conduct: http://python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
>

> --
> Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death.
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/OQTAF6CQRKHQPYUY5HWVOTUAEXKHI5WE/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>