On 30. 03. 22 17:42, Guido van Rossum wrote:
In the not so distant past I have proposed to introduce a new category, "Unstable APIs". These are public but are not guaranteed to be backwards compatible in feature releases (though I feel they should remain so in bugfix releases).

I'm not sure whether those should have a leading underscore or not. Perhaps (like some other languages do and like maybe we've used in a few places) the name could just include the word "Unstable"?

IMO, the underscore should mark an API as internal: it can change at any time (though in practice it often doesn't, e.g. to accommodate projects that used it before a policy is written down).

This is useful e.g. for macros/static functions that wrap access to something private, where the definition needs to be available but marked "keep off".