On 10/05/2022 09.53, Victor Stinner wrote:
Hi,

Two years ago, PEP 632 "Deprecate distutils module" was accepted: the
distutils package was deprecated in Python 3.10 and scheduled for
removal in Python 3.12. Questions.

* Is the Python ecosystem ready for the distutils removal? How many
projects are expected to be broken by this removal?

* Is setuptools a drop-in replacement of distutils for most cases? Are
there tools and documentation explaining how to replace distutils with
setuptools?

* Is there a tool to migrate from setup.py (distutils) to
pyproject.toml (setuptools)? The dephell project can convert a
setup.py script to pyproject.toml using poetry as the build system.

* Can we simply suggest installing setuptools to users who still use
"import distutils"? setuptools now provides the a "distutils" package.

* Should we keep distutils in Python stdlib a few more Python releases
if the removal causes too many practical issues?

Setuptools now provides _distutils_hack meta importer that injects a facade distutils package. "from distutils import setup" will keep working with modern setuptools.

Right now, Python still uses distutils internally for multiple use
cases. I propose to start with renaming the distutils package to
_distutils in the stdlib:

* https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/92584
* https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/92585

Erlend and I got most extension modules ported to autoconf and Modules/Setup.stdlib. The remaining modules should be done in a couple of weeks. I recommend that we do not rename distutils and instead remove it entirely.

Christian