On 10/05/2022 13.18, Victor Stinner wrote:
On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 11:28 AM Christian Heimes <christ...@python.org> wrote:
Right now, Python still uses distutils internally for multiple use
cases. I propose to start with renaming the distutils package to
_distutils in the stdlib:

* https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/92584
* https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/92585

Erlend and I got most extension modules ported to autoconf and
Modules/Setup.stdlib. The remaining modules should be done in a couple
of weeks. I recommend that we do not rename distutils and instead remove
it entirely.

test_peg_generator and test_cppext build C extensions with distutils.
Until these tests are modified to use something else, we still need to
keep distutils. So I propose to rename it to _distutils to remove it
from the stdlib. Maybe these tests can use ensurepip to install
setuptools which provides distutils.

There is also the c-analyzer tool which uses distutils to run a C preprocessor.

We can easily take care of test_cppext and add the build step to Makefile. How does test_peg_generator depend on distutils? I don't see an import of distutils in the directory.

I would prefer to fix and remove all imports of distutils before we resort to renaming the package. Please give us time until alpha 1. There is no need to rush it *now*.

Christian