On 15. 07. 22 16:24, Skip Montanaro wrote:
    The discuss.python.org <http://discuss.python.org> experiment has
    been going on for quite a while,
    and while the platform is not without its issues, we consider it a
    success. The Core Development category is busier than python-dev.
    According to staff, discuss.python.org <http://discuss.python.org>
    is much easier to moderate.. If
    you're following python-dev but not discuss.python.org
    <http://discuss.python.org>, you're missing out.

Personally, I think you are focused too narrowly and aren't seeing the forest for the trees. Email protocols were long ago standardized. As a result, people can use any of a large number of applications to read and organize their email. To my knowledge, there is no standardization amongst the various forum tools out there. I'm not suggesting discuss is necessarily better or worse than other (often not open source) forum tools, but each one implements its own walled garden. I'm referring more broadly than just Python, or even Python development, though even within the Python community it's now difficult to manage/monitor all the various discussion sources (email, discuss, GitHub, Stack Overflow, ...)

Get off my lawn! ;-)

Skip, kinda glad he's retired now...

And that's exactly why I consume Discourse in mailing list mode, with client-side filtering in Thunderbird. I do go to the site to post though. Tthat's possible by e-mail, but the lack of standardization in reply/quoting styles and makes it hard for Discourse to format e-mail replies nicely. (Traditional clients aren't perfect at that either, TBH.)

– Petr (not on behalf of any group)