This might seem odd coming from me, but I’ve come around to supporting this
move.  Discourse is not without its issues, but then again, the same can be
said about email.  Without going into too much of my own personal preferences,
I agree that the experiment has proven successful enough that there’s more
value at this point in consolidating discussions.

Thank you for reaching out to see if there are any usability or workflow issues
that might impact this decision.  There aren’t too much for me, but I wonder if
there are accessibility or native language concerns that might unduly affect
other users.

One thing I didn’t see mentioned is the question of identity.  There’s one side
which is how folks self identify themselves on the mailing list or forum.  We
don’t have any prohibitions against alias or nicknames, which IMHO is totally
fine.  The flip side is more important, ensuring that folks identities can’t be
spoofed or hijacked.  In email at least, I can digitally sign my messages (such
as this one), and while it’s probably true that fewer and fewer folks use any
kind of email digital signature verification, at least *I* can prove whether or
not I wrote something.  What similar kinds of protections do we have on
Discourse?

-Barry