Ulrich Berning schrieb:

> If porting libffi to AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris... (especially using
> vendor compilers) would be an easy job, I'm sure it would have been done
> already. If more and more essential packages depend on ctypes, we should
> make a clear statement, that Python isn't supported any longer on
> platform/compiler combinations where libffi/ctypes doesn't build. This
> would give me arguments to drop support of our software on those platforms.

Ulrich, if *you* have access to these platforms and want to help a good start
which hopefully wouldn't take too much time would be to compile the current
libffi release [1], run the test suite, and report the results.

Compile with gcc, for a start, and note that the testsuite requires
dejagnu (the PyObjC folks have written a dejagnu replacement in Python
for testing libffi, but I haven't tried that).

[1] http://sourceware.org/libffi/

--
Thanks,
Thomas