Thomas Wouters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Allow me to paraphrase glyph (with whom I'm in complete agreement, for what
> it's worth): many newbies will be disappointed by Python if they start with
> Python 3.0 and discover that most of the cool possibilities they had heard
> about are 'being worked on' and not quite ready. I don't doubt that 3.0 will
> be easier for the new programmer to learn, but I do not believe the average
> "Oh, I heard about Python, let's learn it" person should be pointed to 3.0
> right now. They should be encouraged to learn 2.6 -- or even 2.5.

I think that's right.

I was asked this question today, and it comes up (to me) fairly often at
PARC.  I usually suggest using the Python version that's standard for
the user's platform, if they use OS X or Linux (and most do), which is
typically 2.5 (for OS X Leopard), and 2.4 (for Linux -- may be out of date).
For Windows users, I suggest the latest release (2.6).

Bill