On 06:16 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:03 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I do think that in many cases *some* support from the regular
maintainers of a library would be needed -- for example if you (in
particular) were to express a negative attitude towards porting
Twisted to 3.0 (I'm not saying that you do, it's just a hypothetical
that would apply to any "BDFL" for any sizable library) then this
would discourage others from trying to contribute.

Of course. Grumpy as we are, we're preparing for the 3.0 migration, and have been for a while. There are tickets open in the tracker, a buildslave reporting 2.6's -3 warnings, and soon, apparently, a buildslave that will attempt to run the tests with 3.0, although getting anything but a traceback bootstrapping the testing tool is a ways off.

My attitude in every public statement I've ever made about 3.0 has been that there is too much migration work for our tiny team to do, but we are very open to getting help from the community.
OTOH if you made a
branch available where you check in the results of running 2to3 over
Twisted, with instructions for people to contribute fixes, that would
be great -- at almost no cost to you! (Assuming you can get someone
else to work on merging trunk improvements into that branch.) Remember
the open source mantra -- reap the benefit of all those eyeballs!

This isn't really the way our development process works on Twisted - we don't have enough developers to support more than one line of development. Modules and subsystems can be patched individually, and the whole idea with 2to3 is that source changes should remain compatible with 2.6 (and appropriate level of swaddling can paper over library changes back to 2.3) so those fixes can just go into trunk, right?

Nevertheless the sentiment is the same. If someone desperately interested in getting Twisted to work on 3.0, there would be lots of work for them to do and a clear place for them to go do it.