[Benjamin Peterson]
It seems like we are arguing over the version number of basically the
same thing. I would like to see 3.0.1 released in early February for
nearly the reasons you name. However, it seems to me that there are
two kinds of issues: those like __cmp__ removal and some silly IO bugs
that have been fixed for a while and our waiting to be released.
There's also projects like io in c which are important, but would not
make the schedule you and I want for 3.0.1/3.1.

What is involved in finishing io-in-c? ISTM, that is critical and that its absence is a serious barrier to adoption in a production environment.

How far away is it?

Raymond