Tarek> That's why we have forked and created Distribute, to provide bug
    Tarek> fixes.

I suspect you might need to publicize this a bit better.  The first I heard
of Distribute or non-responsiveness of PJE regarding setuptools was this
thread.  (I don't read comp.lang.python anymore.  I do read python-dev and
comp.lang.python.announce.  Maybe I just missed it.)

    Tarek> Now I am astonished that we are talking about reverting changes
    Tarek> in Distutils that were done for bugfixes, for a third party
    Tarek> package that does monkey patches on Distutils.

As I said, I was completely unaware of the problems you're addressing with
Distribute.  My guess is that many extension writers and almost certainly
those people who install extensions will be similarly unaware of the issues.

Skip