> If setuptools can be made to work with Python 2.6.3 /and/ earlier > versions of Python 2.6.x, then it should be patched and an update > released. If not, then perhaps we should revert the change in a quick > Python 2.6.4.

If there is going to be any quick 2.6.4 release, can you consider a fix to the building of extensions under Windows ( http://bugs.python.org/issue4120 )? Extensions built without this patch applied will not work if the MSVC9 runtimes are installed locally (in the Python folder) instead of system-wide (WinSxS). PIL and Matplotlib now use this patch when building extensions. But many others (e.g. PyGame) still create problematic extensions.

-Koen