On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:40 PM,  <s...@pobox.com> wrote:

>    Tarek> That's why we have forked and created Distribute, to provide bug
>    Tarek> fixes.
>
> I suspect you might need to publicize this a bit better.  The first I heard
> of Distribute or non-responsiveness of PJE regarding setuptools was this
> thread.  (I don't read comp.lang.python anymore.  I do read python-dev and
> comp.lang.python.announce.  Maybe I just missed it.)

No you didn't miss it. That's probably my fault because the only places
I publicize about it are my blog (indexed in planet python) and the
distutils-SIG.

Maybe I should blog a summary of the situation and post it to python annoucement
as well.

>    Tarek> Now I am astonished that we are talking about reverting changes
>    Tarek> in Distutils that were done for bugfixes, for a third party
>    Tarek> package that does monkey patches on Distutils.
>
> As I said, I was completely unaware of the problems you're addressing with
> Distribute.  My guess is that many extension writers and almost certainly
> those people who install extensions will be similarly unaware of the issues.

Right, and an end-user can't be aware of those. But until they depend on a
project that is not maintained and that we, active people, can't maintain;
we will face such problems.

Now I am dedicated to help all extension writers out there, and as a matter
of fact I've been doing it since a few weeks on #distutils on freenode,
and all the results of this work are contributed in Distribute.

I have written down two important things so far from this thread:

1/ the need to provide a builbdot service for packagers that wish to
try their package against the latest Distutils
2/ the need to publicize what is going on for a wider audience.

Tarek